10 signs that your newborn is healthy and happy
Article by Rachel Ang and Cherlynn Ng
One of the biggest worries you might have as new parent is whether your baby is happy and in good health. It’s especially nerve-wrecking because your infant cannot talk or tell you if anything is bugging them. However, there are actually many ways to gauge a newborn’s mood and cues. You just have to know what to look out for!
Here are 10 traits of a happy baby:
1. A respiration rate of 40-50 breaths/minute in the first 2 weeks
2. A pulse frequency of 120-140 beats/minute
3. A body weight between 3kg to 4kg (premature babies are under 2.5kg)
4. Stools that are dark green and viscous in the first 2 days, and which gradually turn yellow after feeding
5. Defecating and urinating at least once within 24 hours
6. A body temperature between 36.5°c – 37.5°c
7. The peak period of jaundice is two to three days after birth. If it retreats within 2 weeks, it’s physiological jaundice. If your baby’s symptoms worsen or do not regress within 2 weeks, it is pathological. Seek medical advice accordingly.
8. Your baby has reflexes such as foraging, sucking, tongue stretching, swallowing and hugging
9. Your baby has eye reflexes when exposed to light, and responds to activity/toys after two months
10. They start blinking when hearing noises or sounds after 3 to 7 days as their hearing gets stronger
We hope this checklist is useful and helps you to communicate with your little one! Should you detect any abnormalities, make sure to seek professional and medical advice promptly.
P.S – Known as the celebrities’ choice, Confinement Angels provides parents with complete peace of mind and maximum comfort by attending to every single aspect of the confinement experience. All of our confinement nannies undergo rigorous training based on an 88-hour syllabus, before being subject to another round of stringent evaluation to determine if they are ready to be deployed for assignments. Because at Confinement Angels, we go above and beyond to bring you only the best.
Book our confinement nanny service package and receive a free complimentary newborn baby photo session worth $188 !
T&Cs: Offer is not applicable with any other ongoing promotions, offers, vouchers or privileges unless otherwise stated
Leave your contact info below and we will get in touch with you soon!