5 types of babies who breastfeed
Article by Rachel Ang & Cherlynn Ng
Just like how we adults have various eating habits, different babies breastfeed differently. By carefully observing how your newborn drinks milk, you can find out type of baby they are. Recognising their temperament will also increase your chances of successful breastfeeding. What category does your little darling belong to?
1. Sea-wave type
- ‘Gobbles’ your breasts and sucks for about 10-20 minutes.
- Baby is never sloppy in breastfeeding and very serious about it.
- When it’s time for a feed, mummies must do so without delay.
2. Excited type
- Baby is so excited to breastfeed that they latch on, only to slip away again.
- A lot of patience from the mother is required.
- After each interruption, the baby must be guided gently and calmly to feed again.
- Generally speaking, the baby will be less excitable once they get the hang of things and the success rate of breastfeeding will gradually increase.
3. Relaxed type
- Baby procrastinates a lot and takes their own sweet time.
- Baby will only gain an interest in milk from the 5th or 6th day onwards.
- Once they are ready, they will start feeding properly.
- Be patient, do not force things, and take it slow.
4. Gourmet type
- Gluttonous baby will be like a foodie, savouring every mouthful of milk.
- They are always having fun with your nipples; tasting bit by bit and smacking their lips.
- Breast milk is definitely not a fast food to them.
- Avoid rushing them or they will get upset.
5. Small-break type
- ‘Drink for a while, rest for a while, and sleep for a while’ is the motto of this baby.
- For example, they eat for 15 minutes and sleep for 15 minutes, then repeat the cycle.
One thing you might notice is that breastfeeding is a process which requires lots of patience, regardless of what type of infant you have. Do not get upset, panic or rush when you are not successful the first time. Simply be patient in figuring out your baby’s personality and follow their heart’s desire. If you struggle with breastfeeding, try engaging a lactation consultant or hiring a confinement nanny to help guide you. Remember that breastfeeding is not always easy, but it is definitely worth it.
P.S – Known as the celebrities’ choice, Confinement Angels provides parents with complete peace of mind and maximum comfort by attending to every single aspect of the confinement experience. All of our confinement nannies undergo rigorous training based on an 88-hour syllabus, before being subject to another round of stringent evaluation to determine if they are ready to be deployed for assignments. Because at Confinement Angels, we go above and beyond to bring you only the best.
How much: Prices start from $3,180 for the standard 28-day package.
Book our confinement nanny service package and receive a free complimentary newborn baby photo session worth $188!
T&Cs: Offer is not applicable with any other ongoing promotions, offers, vouchers or privileges unless otherwise stated.
Leave your contact info below and we will get in touch with you soon!